Friday, April 4, 2014

So long, Ateneo!

Instax photos by Carol Canoy
"So make as many mistakes as you can. That way, someday, when they ask again what we want to be… we won't have to guess. We'll know."

~Stephenie Meyer, Eclipse




Ralston C. San Pedro
Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communication
Forever Host
Ateneo de Davao University
Batch 2014


In the most ironic sense of having been able to finish a 4-degree course in one of Davao's most highly acclaimed universities, it pains me to have reach this point. Maybe it was a long, tiresome experience for some, but college was one of the best chapters of my life.


Credits to Red Lens Studio

A "shiftee" from the Accountancy program, I really had no hard time adjusting to a new environment when I transferred to Mass Communication Dept. in my sophomore year. Actually, it was one of the best decisions I made. I fell in love with productions, event management, communication theories and all that the media holds and offers.

Photos by Jill Raya
When I was in Mass Comm, opportunities came rushing like the waves of the ocean as I was given the microphone to host the smallest up to the biggest events of the school--from the Thibault grounds and Roxas field up to Cinema 6 Centerstage of SM Lanang Premier and Davao City Recreation Center (formerly Almendras Gym).


A few of the people who made my college life worthwhile.
Meet my thesis-mates: the Yowties--three of the closest friends I hold dear. 
Aside from the routine I've been used to everyday, what I'd miss most in college are the people, the friends I've made. Throughout the years, I have discovered worlds I didn't expect to find when I met these people. I have gained some and lost a few friends in the way. And now I have to turn the page and move on to a new chapter.

No more waking up early to attend 7:40am classes. No more waiting for my crush to pass by our division area (oops!) No more allowance. No more rehearsals for dance competitions. No more hosting events.  No more stressful requirements from professors.  No more thesis. No more deadlines.

Four years of hard work, training, memory-making and self-discovery to exhaust each Atenean's potential in the field that one has chosen. And now it has come to this. 


Photos by Ree-ann Manalac
For all this I am grateful to my family especially to my mom and dad who supported me in my chosen endeavors morally, financially and spiritually. I also owe my achievements to the people who never stopped believing in what I do, my friends. They were pretty much the ones I spent most of my time with during classes and other things that a college student "enjoys."

Most especially, I take my hat off and dedicate my diploma to my Maker, to the One who made all these possible for me. Without You, I am nothing.

Love. This is my secret. If you love what you do, you can't go wrong. And if ever you stumble along the way, get back up. Embrace the pain that comes hand in hand with it. Someday, it will all make sense.

Go onward on to the fight where glory is shining bright. So long, Ateneo!

No comments:

Well, what do you think?

Post a Comment